Last night I decided that I would take a giant step backwards with the Shapely Tank Top. I was on the home stretch of the front piece when I realized that the slipped stitch selvedge I was creating was NOT a good idea. Not for this project that requires a picked up edging anyway. I decided that, even though I only had an inch or so to go on the front straps, I would rip all the way back to the underarms where I had started this slipped stitch selvedge.
When I got it ripped that far I had trouble with a couple of the stitches near the edge slipping a little farther than I had intended. They slithered into the area of the bust short rows and made them confusing to pick up properly. I spread the piece out to take a really good look at it and in the process got to further examining the very beginning. You know, the part where I said I was dissatisfied with the hem short rows because they seemed too bunched together? I've never mentioned this before, but I was also none-too-thrilled with the cast on method I had chosen. I had used my usual "cable method" and, combined with the garter stitch border, it really was not the best choice. It wasn't horrible, but a long tail cast on would have been better.
I've been enjoying knitting this smooth cotton in row after row of straight stockinette. No, really. I actually like doing plain stockinette. I find the repetition soothing. So soothing in fact that I decided that I wouldn't mind too much doing this entire piece over again.
I have ripped it ALL out, rewound it into balls, and I am beginning again. It's a small set back of a day or two but, in the long run, I'll be happier with the end result. The "Roma, Four Seasons Cotton" I am using makes a lovely fabric. It has a wonderful weight and drape to it.