Translate

Friday, May 18, 2007

Lap Loom

This is the other little item that caught my eye at Fibrefest.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I went home the first night (after having spent all my allotted money) still thinking about this simple little loom and how I could use up some of my less-than-lovely stash (acrylic yarns and odd balls of this and that left over from other projects) making squares for blankets for charity. I considered the possibility of making the loom myself, but --- well --- my nail hammering skills are not that great. The next day I went back with money my son had given me to buy it --- my Mother's Day gift.

It surprises even me how much I enjoy using this little thing. I can pop off a square in 15 to 20 minutes and it isn't exactly brain surgery. Sometimes a mindless, quick project with no real goal in mind is just what I'm looking for.

Fancier, pricier versions of the loom are available here.

4 comments:

Romi said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

I bought one like yours last winter too! They are a lot of fun, and it is nice to use up left over bits of yarn to make pieces for a blanket.

dragon knitter said...

i actually use the looms that you can buy to make potholders with the fabric loops. the newer ones are plastic, which i tend to break, but i found ametal one, and it's a champ!

i like it though!

Anonymous said...

I have a small weavette that I bought last year at our semi-local fiber festival. I had a lot of fun with it for a while, and then got caught up in other stuff.

I'm completely fascinated by the fact that you're doing your squares on the diagonal. My instruction booklet didn't come with directions for that, but I think it is very, very cool.

Are you following directions from the booklet that came with it, or did you find your directions online?