Translate

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Winning Scarf

Last September I knit three scarves out of my own handspun llama laceweight. The first was "Branching Out", done exactly as the pattern was originally written.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The second and third ones I knit using my own modification to the pattern. I then overdyed one with black, which resulted in a rich chocolate brown colour. That one became a Christmas gift for my mother-in-law.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The other I dyed with scarlet and it became a pretty brick red colour. I gave it away last night at a scarf exchange at the year end dinner for the Chilliwack Spinners and Weavers Guild. After the exchange the scarves were put on display and we had a chance to vote for our favorite in two categories: Knit or Crocheted, and Woven. Mine gathered the most votes in the knit or crocheted category and ---

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

--- I won this pretty begonia!

4 comments:

dragon knitter said...

congrats!

Paula said...

How nice! I loved the colour of that red one. And the dark brown one. And the original! I loved them all. Guess I should make one (or three) myself, huh?

Marlene said...

I think you would enjoy knitting one Paula. I would suggest using the modification I came up with though. In the original pattern one side of the scarf ends up upside down when worn. There is also a problem with the cast on edge forming a deep-V due to the pull of the patterning stitches. Both these problems are solved with a centre start which I describe in the post I've linked to.

As far as the final colours go, they were heavily influenced by the underlying, natural butterscotch colour of the llama fibre.

Maggie Ann said...

Your scarves are BEAUTIFUL and how fun to win the begonia. I've always loved them, they soldier on with cheery blooms year round.