Translate

Monday, November 05, 2007

Last Photo Opportunity

I made this stocking many months ago, but the middle of the summer did not seem an appropriate time for a blog post about a Christmas stocking. Today is the last chance I have to photograph it though. I've donated it to the Chilliwack Spinners and Weavers guild for the annual Chilliwack Christmas Craft Fair which will be held on November 15 and 16.



So....what do you think something like this should sell for? I just know they are going to ask what I want to price it at, and I have no idea what to say. You have until Wednesday, November 14th to chime in with your thoughts.

It's hand knit from some of my earlier handspun, which was originally natural in colour. After the stocking was knit I dyed it forest green.

I made up the pattern as I went. Believe me, it is an original, never to be repeated exactly the same ever again. At one point, when I realized the toe section (the stocking was knit toe-up) was way too long and out of proportion with the rest of the stocking.....I CUT it off, picked up the stitches, and knit the toe shaping downward. Tricker than you might think considering that the lace pattern is one of those undulating ones that make wavy edges.

The stocking has also been lined in a shimmery red fabric. My children have informed me that the only way a knit stocking is acceptable is if it is lined. No fuzz on the candy please! Of course the lining also peeks out nicely from the holes in the lace --- and prevents the candy from falling out those same holes.


I found shimmery, wire edged ribbon and little berry-like beads to finish off the look.

Please comment with your pricing thoughts. Thanks!

14 comments:

Nicole said...

At least $45. How many hours did it take? And if you were to "donate" minimum wage per hour? Probably alot more. That's the value I would put on it but would anyone pay that much, who knows.

dragon knitter said...

i was gonna say $40, but that's us money. is the dollar back up against canadian money? i dunno.

Marlene said...

According to the online currency convertor the Candian dollar is worth over $1.07 today.

It took many, many hours Nicole, when you consider the spinning, dyeing, knitting, lining, and beading, but I know better than to expect a decent wage for things like this. I'd be happy to do it full time if I could make good money. Oh. Wait. I already do it full time --- for nothing but the satisfaction of being creatively engaged.

I know that all the hours can't be calculated in if a person actually wants to SELL something like this. (Unless you are already a well known artist). So, my question would be more "What do you think I could actually get for it?". Don't worry about hurting my feelings or anything. I'd be especially interested in hearing from anyone who has experience selling similarly hand crafted items at Craft Fairs...or perhaps on etsy or eBay. Well, now that I think about it, that might be a good place for me to snoop around myself.

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous!

I'd go anywhere between $50 and $75, maybe even higher. But it depends on the craft fair, the types of crafters it brings in, and the audience of buyers.

Karen said...

I'd go for $50. Don't under-sell handmade items. This one looks great! It would go for at least $50 (if not more) in a boutique. I know A$50 is probably close to C$40, but the exchange rate doesn't really matter. What matters is what people are used to spending for this type of item. Go look at similar items in a boutique or upscale department store, then price your item a bit(5-10%) under that to be competitive.

Our Guild's Christmas Fair is on Nov 24 (in Brisbane Qld). Unfortunately, it's probably a bit out of the way for most of your readers. Likewise, I'd love the chance to visit your Christmas Fair if it were a bit closer :).

Paula said...

I have sold hand-knit stockings for $70 and they were nice, but they weren't made of handspun or lined.

Maggie Ann said...

Its beautiful! Perhaps the Chilliwack Christmas Craft Fair would have some idea of what the other knitted items will bring in this category. When I think of 'donating' around here....things go cheaper than I'd want, because often people don't realize the hours, effort and skill that goes into something handmade.

Marlene said...

I guess a person's target market would really dictate how high something could be priced. My husband points out that in Whistler a hand made, one of a kind stocking could sell for much more than it would here in Chilliwack.

It's not that local people don't value the work and unique individuality of the item and think that it is worth every penny, it is just that they don't have the money!

Anonymous said...

Callie and I just went to the studio fair here in town, and although there weren't any stockings that I saw, lots of knitted bags and socks etc,at the guild booth mostly between $30 and $75. This is the "elite" craft fair here, but as others have mentioned, it depends who you are trying to reach, personally I can't afford to spend anymore than about $40 on even something as wonderful as your stocking,although I know how much time is put into homemade articles such as yours!! One of my favorite fair memories of years past is of finding a "Martha made" wall hanging (a local senior who is a fantastic quilter) at only $25. I thought I had won the lottery and it holds a special place on my wall. Keep in mind that someone special will have that as a family heirloom and even regular people need those!! Anne

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Between $35 - $75. Since you hand spun the yarn yourself I would ask towards the higher side. Beautiful stocking! :)

PJ said...

My first thought was $35.00

~Kristie said...

It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL! If only you had a pattern for it, I'd knit it for our Christmas stockings this year.

Personally, I think it's worth $100, but I definitely wouldn't take anything less than $75 for it. That's just me though.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see Kristie said what I was thinking--$100.

Anonymous said...

I am a bit late to the party on this one,but it is an absolutly stunning piece. Definitely $100.