Translate

Friday, January 29, 2010

String of Purls

Shelby must have heard me the other day when, in frustration over my lousy self photography results, I threatened to start taking pictures with the finished projects posed with the dog instead.

Tonight when she saw me finish these socks she came running to "help" with the photo shoot. Such a nice fur-girl.

The almost random arrangement of purl stitches was an idea I picked up from an article in the February 2010 issue of Knit 'N Style. It's a fun way to deal with handpainted yarn. You purl only the stitches that come up in your chosen colour. In this case I purled any time I found the turqouise ready to knit the next stitch, and also when a turquoise stitch presented itself on the needle. In this particular yarn it resulted in long strings of raised purl stitches spiralling around the sock. . . . . hence the name, "String of Purls Socks".

Try it! Just plug the idea into any basic sock pattern you like to use and pick any hand painted yarn that features one colour that stands out from the rest.

The yarn was a gift from my daughter and her family. I've lost the ball band now, but I do remember the colourway is "Dragonfly" which she chose because I love dragonflies.

7 comments:

Natalie Hennekam said...

How very cool!
i love this idea.
:-)

kristo said...

The Yarn is SunshineYarns Classic Sock. She does wonderful hand-dyeing and comes up with great colourways. www.sunshineyarns.com

No, I have no affiliation with her company, I just like her yarn. ;)

Dorothy said...

What a great idea! I have some sock yarns that are so busy I've despaired of finding a nice pattern for them. This would be perfect. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I wondered how that would look when I read the article...and it looks really pretty on your socks so I think I will try it too. Shelby sold me. :)
*hugs*
:)

PJ said...

Wow...THAT is a very neat idea! If I just heard about this I would think it would be very obvisous, but actually is is an awesome outcome! Do you happen to know which issue that was in? Love the color of that handpainted yarn,too...and YES, the dog makes the picture! ;)

kristo said...

The article is actually in the February 2010 issue of Knit 'N Style. :)

Marlene said...

Thanks for the correction Kris, I've changed it in the post.