Translate

Tuesday, February 06, 2018

With Love and Gratitude

My husband asked me to sew up a few holes in the safety overalls he wears at work. He's hoping to make them last until his retirement, which isn't too terribly far off.


He said it didn't have to be pretty. I think what he actually meant was "please don't make it pretty!!" as he has seen my ongoing work on my own Boro/Sashiko vest.

So here we are, a few discrete patches hidden in behind the main fabric, with stitching matched as close as possible to the overall fabric. 



Completely invisible mends were not possible since some of the rips, including this three corner tear, were large, gaping, and surrounded by fabric that was nearly worn through. I think I closed them up quite nicely. 

Once I had the overalls in my hands I noticed many more, smaller tears and holes and I stitched those up too. I made sure I sewed down the areas where the reflective safety tape was coming loose too. 


As I contemplated the 44+ years my husband has put in as a telephone lineman I couldn't help but feel an immense love, gratitude, and respect for this hardworking man of mine and his dedication to supporting his family and doing his best for his employer.


2 comments:

Gene Black said...

I had to laugh at the "I think what he actually meant was "please don't make it pretty!!""
I hope that you will both enjoy his retirement in the coming years.

Marlene said...

I think we will, Gene! We're not the world traveller types, but I do hope to explore the quieter lakes in our area and to get out in our kayaks more often. Spending time with our granddaughters is also a priority.