Friday, October 21, 2016

Hats of Grey

Here are the two hats made from the "< 50 Shades of Grey" warp.

The one on the left is made by tying the warp ends together and twisting them, while the one on the right has a french seam that is almost undetectable, hidden amongst all the texture at the back, and then a pompom as decoration 

Both hats will be available for sale at the Chilliwack Christmas Craft Fair.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

< 50 Shades of Grey

I was definitely remiss in blogging about this one! I finished it a few days ago.

< 50 Shades of Grey

It was such fun to weave that I barely stopped to take photos.

< 50 Shades of Grey

A very neutral colour scheme, but lots of interesting texture and additions.

< 50 Shades of Grey

There are bits of ribbon, blobs of roving, and hairy novelty yarns,

< 50 Shades of Grey

boucle yarns, sparkly threads, and a sprinkling of beads,

< 50 Shades of Grey

metallic ribbon, handspun, and a few dangling jersey knit tubes.

< 50 Shades of Grey

It all adds up to a lot more visual interest than you might expect from a monochromatic weaving.

< 50 Shades of Grey

It made for a rather fascinating fringe.

Fringe twisting

I was kind of sorry to see the end of that warp. It did not end with the cowl though. In future posts I'll be displaying a couple of hats woven from the same warp. They are having their hand knit ribbing added now. Unfortunately that process takes much longer than weaving off the warp!

Friday, October 14, 2016

Riot of Colour and Texture

A quiet blog always means a busy blogger -- at least around here anyway. I've been anything but idle lately and yet haven't taken the time to update.

Riot of Colour and Texture

The "Riot of Colour and Texture" warp has long since been woven, removed from the loom, and made into a cowl and one hat (a second from the same warp is awaiting a knitted brim).

Riot of Colour and Texture HAT

The Saori "No Sew Hat" is how this begins, but I think I'll be adding a knitted brim to the ones I make. It helps them to fit a greater range of head sizes.

Riot of Colour and Texture HAT

It also gives them a slightly different look. More slouchy beanie or beret style, depending on how it is worn.

Riot of Colour and Texture HAT

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Ooo, I SEE!

Post LASIK eye surgery.

Only an hour or so after the surgery. No glasses needed but tears pour down my cheeks whenever I briefly open my eyes. Plastic eye shields are taped in place for 24 hours and then used only while sleeping for one week.

Post LASIK eye surgery.

About 6 hours post-op eyes are still watering and sore and are very sensitive to light. Spending most of the first 24 hours sleeping.

Post LASIK eye surgery.

24 hours after surgery, eyes are blood shot and feeling like I've been out in a wind storm, but are otherwise pain free.

My MID-range sight is perfect, which is so much better than I had expected! Working at the computer is not a problem at all. The dashboard of the car is perfectly clear. Having a conversation at the dinner table or standing talking to someone, excellent -- very clear.

Close-up vision is also much better than I had anticipated. I think I will only be needing reading glasses for the tiniest of print, very fine detailed work, or reading for long periods of time. I can see my iPhone and read a magazine just fine. Tiny writing on a medication bottle or the "fine print" of a contract? Well, perhaps not. I'll likely be whipping out a magnifier or reading glasses for that.

My distance vision is still hazy and not quite perfect. It's still plenty good enough to drive. I have a bit of inflammation in both eyes so the distance vision may improve as the inflammation is treated.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Loom Elves

I've discovered that I have loom elves!

Loom Elves taking a break

They seem to be quite helpful --- when they aren't playing tricks!

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Souvenir of a Different Sort

For many years now I haven’t been able to be away from home for long due to other commitments, but a recent change in that situation meant I was able to spend a 4 day weekend away. Not much of a “vacation”, but even a 9 hour car drive north to see relatives (some I hadn't even met yet!) is a break from the norm for me and well appreciated.
Once at our destination my sister-in-law was kind enough to drive me around to see how much our old home town has changed (28 years since we moved). There were locations that have changed so much that I didn’t even realize right away where we were!
I had no intention of shopping on this trip but my sister-in-law took me to visit a tiny little yarn shop hidden away in behind another business on the top floor of what was an old, old building even when I lived there. Not being one to accumulate knickknacks and other useless souvenirs I jumped on the chance to spend a little “holiday money” on a souvenir of a sort I know I will truly enjoy. ;-)

A worthy souvenir.

Inspired by another weaver’s project that used clasped weft with Zauberball on one side and a plain, solid colour on the other, I’ve always wanted to give the idea a go. I’ve just never been able to justify paying so much for a single ball of yarn! With my little splurge, now's my chance!

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Pull of the Loom

I wound this warp a few weeks ago and it has been waiting its turn at the loom.

90 ends, 12" in the reed, 6 metre length

I was pleased with the warp itself, but I'm thrilled with the actual weaving of it!

September 13, 2016

It's turning out so much better than I expected. 

Goodnight pretty weaving.

In fact, watching the colours play out against the mixed warp is so enthralling that the pull of the loom is irresistible, and I find myself back at it even when I should be doing other things.