Translate

Friday, February 06, 2009

Again Perhaps?

I LOVE the way this turned out. It's exactly what I had in mind. The contrasting, asymmetrical closure adds a bit of interest while still keeping the design free of fussy, frilly, feminine details.

Actual colour is closer to the bottom picture.


I might also make a smaller one though, as this may be too large for a brand new newborn and it is intended as part of a coming home outfit. My daughter and I checked it against Kaylen's coming home outfit. The cuff to cuff length of this one is identical, as is the width of the sleeves, but the body is considerably wider and slightly longer.

Hmmmm, what to do? What to do? On the one hand, I wouldn't want the baby to be swimming in his coming home outfit, (assuming said baby actually turns out to be a boy and wears this at all), but I also don't really want to knit something so small it is only worn once or twice. Or spend all that time knitting two boy sweaters and then have the baby turn out to be a girl anyway. Hmmm.......what to do?

4 comments:

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I think it turned out perfect! All babies are different sizes but maybe since this sweater was so quick for you to make...a second smaller one would ensure that one of the outfits would fit upon the baby going home...if he is indeed a he. :)

Marlene said...

All three of my babies were large, Ruinwen, and my daughter's first was nearly 9 pounds, so generally we expect the babies to grow out of the newborn size within about 2 weeks. This baby however, is showing signs of being a bit smaller.

I've decided to hand knit a hat and machine knit a blanket and then if time and inclination are with me, I'll tackle a smaller sweater as well.

Marlene said...

Forgot to mention....it wasn't all that fast. I really enjoyed knitting it and did little else for two days straight!

The blanket though....it's going to be tackled with the knitting machine. It will be my "January Project" for the Garment a Month-a-long in the knitting machine group on Ravelry. Doing the swatching and designing for that one right now.

Vicki Knitorious said...

That sweater is VERY cute, Marlene!