Translate

Saturday, September 21, 2019

Twilight Fuschia Squid

The "Twilight Fuschia" yardage has now found its way into a garment. I've sewn it up into a Saori top/dress that is, amongst Saori weavers, commonly called "The Squid". Usually it's a shorter top, I've lengthened my version.


I really love the draped collar on this design. It's great for showing off interesting fringe treatments like the "finger fringe" I've done here. 


Finger fringe is tedious and time consuming to weave, but the results are, I think, worth the effort.


My Squid is 100% cotton, mostly 2/8, but with some 2/10 and 2/16 included as well. The wandering pattern is "travelling inlay" done in commonly available "kitchen cotton", the kind used to knit dish cloths.


The Squid design is based on a folded layout that makes the front completely on the bias, 


while the back has one side with the warp situated vertically and the other side horizontally.


I'm very happy with the way my "Twilight Fuschia Squid" has turned out and I'll be wearing it often. There will be more variations on this theme in my future, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Gene Black said...

I love the look of your traveling inlay.

Marlene said...

Thanks Gene. Have you tried traveling inlay? It slower than just plain weaving, but certainly not difficult.