Translate

Monday, September 09, 2019

From His Closet

Another shirt taken over.


My husband wears denim shirts until they are stained or worn, but won't wear them with patches. At that point I happily take them over and refashion them into something I can, and will, use myself.

In general I'm happy with the oversized, comfortable, forgiving fit, but the sleeves are always way too long. In the past I've remedied the problem by completely removing the sleeves and making a boro vest. This time though the variable weather of fall has inspired me to leave the sleeves on. It makes for a great layering piece I can wear over summer tank tops when the weather decides to turn chilly.



I shortened the sleeves and added contrast cuffs using the tutorial in Paganoonoo's "Patti Blouse" pattern. I then used the original sleeve cuffs, snaps, pleats and all, as big, useful patch pockets. I always need somewhere to stuff my hands!


Hidden inside the left shirt front is an additional pocket, this one for my cell phone. 


I've covered a couple of paint stains with patches which have been embellished with sashiko stitching.


One stain is covered with a big "Judy" flower, tutorial also in the "Patti Blouse" pattern linked to above. The flower is attached with it's brooch pin. Some time in the future I may decide to replace it with an ordinary patch.


The collar of the shirt was worn and fraying so I covered it with fabric that matches the new cuffs.


I receive no compensation for the links I include in my blog. They are only there for your research convenience.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Fabulous and unique!

Marlene said...

Thanks Julie. My husband can't wear his shirts out fast enough to keep me in craft supplies!