Translate

Monday, December 09, 2019

What's She Hiding Anyway?

A few of the Facebook comments on my last blog post made me realize that people might feel the room was too tidy to be believed. Maybe they are thinking that a creative person's domain could not possibly remain that way for long? I've decided to show you what is hiding behind that wall of Kallax cubes.

 

The white bins that are not open hide all my sewing patterns, my boro stitching supplies, and other crafting things like pine needle basketry, a glue gun, doll wig supplies and more. 

The drawers store all my sewing and serging threads and bobbins, sorted by size then colour of course.  ;) 

The bottom baskets are chock full of fabric, sorted by type.

The needed, but rarely used, small shaped ironing board and a sleeve board are hidden between this unit and the wall.

It is all well organized, but it is still an awful lot of visual clutter and I prefer to keep it behind closed doors. I don't work well in a chaotic environment. Along that same line, I have no television, radio, or stereo in my creative workspaces. I prefer working in silence.


On the other side of the room the doors on the pressing station hide my iron and other pressing tools. The baskets on the lower level are full of fabric, sorted by type. The drawers hide all the measuring, cutting, and pinning supplies I like on hand as well as dressmaker's tracing paper, small cutting mats, rotary cutters, and rulers. On the floor hidden underneath the unit is a couple of mid sized cutting mats and a longer grid ruler. I keep my larger cutting mats hanging from a skirt hanger behind the door to the room.


The drawers to my sewing table hold all of my interfacings and stabilizers, machine manuals and accessories, machine and hand-sewing needles. Under the table and just visible to the left of the drawers is a rack I use to hold taller rolls of dress maker's pattern vellum and a roll of butcher's paper. 


The little bit of "clutter" I allow out in the open are things I grab for frequently while sewing; pins, clips, various scissors, snips, tweezers, a sewing awl, elastic glides, my handmade needle book with my favourite hand-sewing needles, a bobbin winder, and a collection of sewing machine feet. The mint tin actually stores broken needles and pins and will eventually be safely discarded. 

So there you go, my mess hidden behind closed doors, for the sake of my peace and sanity. 

The weaving room next door is much more crowded and cluttered, but I'm working on it!






2 comments:

PJ said...

Oh, LOOK!!! Hidden TIDINESS!!! ;) I love seeing into your drawers! LOL Is that borderline creepy? :)

Marlene said...

LOL, PJ! I know it is organized and most people would consider that neat and tidy. It's hard to describe how it affects me to be surrounded by a lot of "stuff", noise, or contention. I'm really bothered by over stimulus.