Translate

Sunday, February 02, 2020

Constant Craving

As a hobbyist interested in many different textile arts I go through phases. My interest in any particular area seems cyclic. It waxes and wanes over time. I go from intense interest, almost obsession, to total abandonment at times.


Last year I did a lot of cross-stitch, completing a pretty picture we just had framed (I'll show that in a future post), but I feel I'm "done" with cross-stitch for awhile. I still love it but I want to move on to other interests. I've been working on the felt wreath shown in recent posts, but that can be put down at any time and picked up later. I'm really only doing it because the kit has been sitting around for at least 10 years and I'm in a decluttering mood. It's time to make it or get rid of it!

In the last few weeks I've been experiencing a strong craving for crochet! I haven't worked in that area of interest for quite awhile and I'm really drawn to it right now. I even went out yesterday to buy the yarn for the "Lost In Time" shawl by Swedish designer, Johanna Lindahl of Mijo Crochet. I even thought I knew where I could get the yarn, but unfortunately the local yarn store no longer carries that particular yarn. I had to order online. I found some at YarnCanada.ca but it will be a few days in shipping.

In the meantime I had to do something to calm those cravings for crochet! I dug through my stash and found a single ball of fingering-weight cotton and the pattern for "Floret Face Pads/Scrubbies" by the same designer. I had to learn/review a couple of more intricate stitches but after that they worked up pretty quickly. 

In very little time at all I had four of them made. I could have kept on going but I'd like to try them out first and see if I even like them and if their use is feasible. They are meant as washable replacements for the cotton pads commonly used for removing makeup or applying toners or astringents. Storing them after use and before laundering might be a pain, and for washing them I'll likely need a small mess bag. We'll see. 




No comments: