Translate

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Unusual Heirloom

This is not what you might expect a cherished heirloom to look like.



Of the things left to me by relatives, my mother's waffle iron is one of the most cherished. It may not sparkle like the crystal collection, or be of great monetary value, but it carries the most memories and has earned the space it takes in my kitchen. 

When I was a child mom always made either waffles, pancakes, or french toast for Sunday breakfast. This "Sunbeam Radiant Control Waffle Baker & Grill", with interchangeable cooking surfaces, did them all. It has continued to receive regular use for over 60 years! The manual/recipe pamphlet has accompanied it and has a copyright dating 1954.  



When mom gave it to me a few decades ago I was thrilled. I wish appliances were still made to be such good performers and so reliable. The thermostat and "easy to see signal light" still work for goodness sakes! 

Modern appliances with their built in obsolescence just can't compare to these old timers that keep on going and going and going. If you ask me, a great deal of the trash in the world is the direct result of things not being made like they used to should be. 

4 comments:

PJ said...

Those were the BEST!!!! My folks had a rectangle one....the new ones never cook or taste the same. I wanted it but it was stolen when my dad's storage was stolen and clear out :'( :'( Wonderful share!

Marlene said...

Oh that's too bad PJ. You're right, they are the absolute best. Nothing made nowadays compares. I fully expect this waffle iron to outlast me and be passed on to my children.

Carol b said...

What a lovely keeper! My folks had a toaster, lasted 25 plus years, and popped up slowly when done. Though my sister used to announce when Toast UP!

Marlene said...

My parents did too Carol! In fact, it was probably as old as that waffle iron. My parents split when I was 14. I think the last I saw of the 'toaster that wouldn't quit' it was in my dad's possession. There was an hand mixer that was ancient and still working too. Last I saw of that it was in my brother's possession and likely ended in the hands of his roommates when he died young.