Translate

Sunday, March 01, 2020

Weaving Handspun Cotton


I've spun and I've spun over the past few months, spinning up at least 2 pounds of cotton now, but this is the first time I've actually used my cotton. Now that I've tried weaving handspun cotton I'm definitely hooked. I really love the way it looks and feels.


This is the beginning of my first weaving. I cut it from the loom to use as a wet finishing sample when I spotted a mistake in the threading. It's marked on the right there with a pin. Two threads were in the same heddle. I've since rethreaded and have continued weaving.


I've already woven enough to complete quite a long table runner but I have plenty more warp to work with. This prewound Saori warp was a Christmas gift from a very generous friend.


The warp is organic cotton in varying thicknesses in natural undyed brown, green, and white. The weft is all my own handspun! Such a pleasure to weave with it. The first runner is predominately handspun Acala white with three stripes of Sarepta Brown at each end. I think I'll weave a second runner with the opposite combination. 

4 comments:

vicky said...

Very lovely what a great friend

Marlene said...

She truly is Vicky! What's really amazing is we've never actually met in person. I'm a moderator on a forum she is an Administrator for and she generously sends us a gift each Christmas.

Julie said...

This is a wonderful organic piece of weaving. I know that warp, and weaving with your handspun cotton makes it so much more unique and special. How did you finish the fringes edges? Is that hemstitch?

Marlene said...

The fringed piece is just a wet finishing sample Julie, but yes, I did hemstitching at both ends. The longer weavings will become table runners so I have woven hem allowances with singles so that they won't be too bulky.