Translate

Thursday, June 18, 2020

Imagery Is Not My Joy

I decided to share this even though I'm not satisfied with it and will eventually scrap it and use the canvas for something else.


I learned something struggling with this. I learned that although I do enjoy playing with paint, actually trying to capture even a vague image of some sort pulls me right out of my joy. And yet, without at least a vague image, my attempts at abstract come out looking like lovely wrapping paper.

I'm not sure now how I will proceed with the remainder of the "Finding Your Joy" course. I am committed to doing all of the assignments. I think there are two or three more. But after that I may abandon paint altogether and go back to my fibre arts corner of the world to lick my wounds.

3 comments:

Gene Black said...

I actually like that a lot. It looks to me like "if Keith Herring (or maybe Warhol) had painted a van Gogh vase of flowers."

Marlene said...

Thanks Gene. Though Louise Fletcher admonishes us to find value in our own work and not to seek outside validation -- it does help ease some of the frustration and disappointment to hear from other people that it has some value, in their eyes at least. Still, if we are to do more of what make us feel joy and less of that which does not --- you won't be seeing much more of this type of thing.
Your comments, and those of a few people on Facebook, naming artists with some elements of a similar style have been encouraging. I'm not familiar with a lot of different work and it was eye opening to see that not everyone famous paints like Norman Rockwell or Thomas Kinkade.

Regina said...

I also like it. I would frame it and enjoy it. Keep going. You obviously have talent and you will grow with each new challenge. And, you will be able to look back and see the progress you have made.