Translate

Monday, April 11, 2022

WPI Lied

I knit a test swatch with the handspun today and I'm glad I did. I find it gives me a more accurate indication of yarn weight than the WPI calculations. 


I find WPI a little difficult to calculate with handspun because the yarn's thickness varies a little in different areas and a small miscalculation can result in a different size classification. My knitted swatch, at 24 - 25 stitches over 4 inches, is showing the 3 ply handspun to be a "Fine / #2, Baby/Sports weight yarn".


My WPI calculations had it at about 15 WPI with thicker sections coming in at around 14WPI, which would have been a Super Fine #1, Sock/Fingering designation, but the knitted swatch would indicate that the yarn must be closer to 12 WPI. I'm actually glad it's in the sports weight category. It will make finding a pattern easier (if I don't decide to design one myself, from scratch), and the resulting sweater will be a nice weight too. 

No comments: