Translate

Friday, September 07, 2018

Werk it -- or not.

I've been sewing a lot lately, mostly clothing for myself.


And as much as I hate selfies, especially the camera-in-hand type, sometimes that's the only practical way to get a finished project photo.


My husband isn't always available to take the photos and even when he is I'm reluctant to hand him the camera. 


For one thing having an audience makes me nervous, but then there is also his tendency to pretend he's Joe Fashion Photographer and he starts calling out "Werk it, Werk it!"


And though I know he's trying to be helpful, make me laugh and lose the "resting bitch face", it still feels terribly awkward. With no immediate feedback I never know if any of the multitude of shots he's taken are any good.  So -- 



Camera in hand selfies today.




And look! If I try hard enough I sometime even remember to smile -- without the "Werk it, werk it!". 


That last project is another "upcycle", this time a lace trimmed sheer curtain becoming a "shirt extender" and a gauzy scarf.

5 comments:

PJ said...

Your upcycling is absolute brilliant and gorgeous! Glad to took some more selfies (I'm not fond of them either)

Anonymous said...

You created some great outfits. Love seeing your creations. You do such a great job with your sewing. The oufits look great on you too.

vicky said...

wow love them and your lovely also

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

You look wonderful. I love what you're making for yourself. It must be so nice to be able to make things already know will look great on.

Marlene said...

Thanks PJ. I've been sewing quite a bit this summer and though I've been very happy with the results I just haven't gotten around to photographing the finished projects and blogging about them.

Thanks "anonymous". I'm getting better at sewing as the years pass. The great thing about making lots of mistakes is that you gradually learn from them and have less and less mistakes.

Thanks Joanne. I'm really enjoying having a good selection of one of a kind originals in my wardrobe. It's nice being able to dress in the work of one's own hands. I need to clarify though -- I don't always know how things will look on. I have some patterns that I love and return to, and I'm also getting better at understanding how certain fabrics will affect the drape and fit of a garment, but I still have some projects that turn out less-than-lovely.