Translate

Saturday, January 05, 2019

Fancy Nancy Gets New Clothes

My youngest granddaughter received a "Fancy Nancy" doll for Christmas. Additional clothing doesn't seem to be available for Fancy Nancy and since dressing and redressing the doll is part of the fun I've accepted the challenge of expanding the doll's wardrobe.

Leaving the doll behind for clothing fittings has been out of the question since "Fancy Kenzie", as she's been renamed, has become my granddaughter's constant companion, so an old Disney Animator doll has been my stand-in fitting model. She's shorter in the legs and without the jointed limbs, but otherwise the same size.

The first outfit is "Candy Girl" with both the knitting and sewing patterns by LelleModa on Etsy.


It's the only outfit so far that I've remembered to get a photograph of before the doll wore it home. The following photos were taken after the fact, by my granddaughter, at my request. Here's that first outfit on "Fancy Kenzie":


Those extra joints really make a difference! So much more fun to pose.

Next I used some fabric scraps I had laying around and sewed up a Christmas skirt and blouse. The skirt is just a single layer from the "Candy Girl" skirt pattern, lengthened. The top is the "PuffySleeve Undershirt" from a pattern by SweetPeaCove on Etsy.


Next I used the last remaining scrap of flannel fabric reclaimed from thrift store pajama bottoms, trimmed it with lace from the same thrift store, and created a pair of baby doll pajamas using the "Bloomer Buddies" sewing pattern by PixieFairePatterns on Etsy. 


And here's an "action shot".







 

6 comments:

Gene Black said...

I have made a few doll clothes, but I just find it a pain to do. Yours look good.

Marlene said...

I'm surprised Gene! With your beautiful quilting I would think the fiddly bits of making doll clothing might appeal to you? I get tired of it myself, but I have a lot of textile hobbies and switch it up when I'm bored in one area. No dull moment around here!

Cjbj said...

You made a girl happy I bet! Dolly looks real cute all decked out.

Marlene said...

Thanks Cjbj. There have been more doll clothes made and given since. I haven't been keeping up with my blog posts lately. Too busy creating to *write* about creating!

elaineren said...

Sweet! I make doll clothes for my grands, too. They are just as much work as full sized clothes, only shorter seams! Labour of love.

Marlene said...

It is fun elaineren, but I find that with all the other things I am interested and actively pursue I have less and less time for making doll clothes. It's fun to do a few now and then though, especially at this size. In the past I made clothing for dolls that were only a few inches tall.