Translate

Sunday, May 19, 2019

Change Of Plans

I'm now working on the lining for the special project I mentioned at the end of April, the one made of yardage woven from denim strips.


The way the jacket is made the front panels fold back to form a lapel effect and this exposes the lining. I decided to embellish the exposed area of the lining with Sashiko embroidery in the Higaki (Cypress Fence) pattern. Wanting to break up the monotony of the brick like pattern I added a few small flowers I drew myself.  

When the Sashiko was complete I could see that the flower outlines would definitely need some further defining. They were lost in the background of Higaki patterning. (See top portion of the photo). Before work began I suspected this might be the case and had a backup plan to use fabric paint to fill in the flowers. A practice piece made me realize that fabric paints were just not going to work. 

After a couple more false starts, experimenting and casting aside various ideas, I came up with the idea of filling the flowers in with a solid blending stitch known as "long and short stitch". I chose a range of golden yellows so as to not clash with the background Sashiko. As I was working the blending stitch my husband mentioned that they looked like marigolds. I agreed. With the addition of a centre of deeper gold french knots I think they look just like this particular marigold variety.



5 comments:

PJ said...

I know I commented on your facebook, but I had to come back and soak it in again! Those flowers made me smile :)

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous! I have admired Shashiko and first discovered it a few years ago while taking a workshop at The Sewing Workshop. Love what you are doing on this project! ChelleC

Marlene said...

Thanks Pj and Chelle for taking the time to comment on the blog as well. I often get comments on Facebook now that I am linking there, but it has made blog comments less frequent.

I am really enjoying this project. Once I am finished with the flower embroidery the next step is to actually put the lining into the jacket. I'm nervous about that!

drygardening said...

Very beautiful. I look forward to seeing more of your project.

Marlene said...

I've run into an annoying snag with it drygardening. I'll have to adjust the way I was intending on doing the lower hem. I think I can adapt. It's just annoying that it won't work the way I had thought.