Translate

Thursday, May 30, 2019

Hardly Rubbish

I'm thrilled with the way this project has turned out. It is not perfect, there are flaws, but I still think it is beautiful. It is also an extremely comfortable and comforting jacket to wear. I love it!


I'm entering the jacket at the 2019 ANWG Conference being held in Prince George, BC, where the theme is "Confluence" and the organizers are encouraging entrants to combine other talents and interests with their weaving. I've chosen to combine my interest in recycling, weaving, sewing, embroidery, and Sashiko (a Japanese form of running stitch embroidery). 


Entrants are required to title their exhibits. I've chosen "What Rubbish" for mine in reference to the recycled denim (strips used in the weaving), recycled bedsheet (used for lining), leftover weaving cotton (used for the Sashiko), and inherited embroidery floss (used for the marigold flowers). All of these materials would usually be thrown away adding to our planet's growing pollution problem. I say, "What rubbish!". 

5 comments:

drygardening said...

This turned out splendidly!

Marlene said...

Thanks. I'm very pleased with it.

Diane in Oregon said...

A beautiful piece! I love the sashiko with the embroidery - it really finishes it off nicely - great job!

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

I love everything about this jacket, the theme, the fabric, embroidery. Very nicely done.

Marlene said...

Thanks Diane, I somehow missed seeing your comment until now. The embroidery really does seem to complement and complete the sashiko stitching doesn't it? I'm glad it all worked together so well.

Thank you Joanne. I wish everyone could try it on! There is something about it that just feels so good and comforting when it's being worn. It reminds me of those weighted blankets (though it's not that heavy!).