Translate

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Christmas in January?

I'm working on a felt applique wreath, not late for this past Christmas but perhaps way early for the next one? 

(Yes, it's the third week in January and my poinsettia is still healthy!)

This kit by Bucilla, called "Cookies & Candy Wreath", will be a long term project done leisurely over many months. I'll take a photo now and then to show you how it's coming along.


I cut the basic wreath shape from foam core board rather than the cardboard suggested. Then I had to embroider many many leaves. The embroidery on the leaves was time consuming but easy, just simple back stitch and straight stitch. Attaching all those leaves to the wreath form was a challenge! I ended up having to go out and buy a curved upholstery needle.


The curved needle was awkward to work with but it made attaching the leaves to the stiff background easier.


Now that the background leaves are done I'm on to the more interesting part, making all the items to go on the wreath. 

To give you some idea of the scope of this project, the little gingerbread boy is only the beginning. I estimate he took around 3 hours to create.

2 comments:

PJ said...

LOVE IT!!! You are an inspiration.

Marlene said...

I'm glad you like it PJ. I'm hoping it will become a bit of an heirloom, or at least part of the expected Christmas decorations "at Grandma's". Years ago I made 4 Christmas stockings in this technique. It's very time consuming because many of the pieces are decorated not just with embroidery but also sequins and beads. Unfortunately it's hard to get a good photo. Even the promotional photos by the company making the kit do not do justice to the finished work.