Translate

Friday, January 03, 2020

So No Sew

I could just weep! I've only had my beautifully renovated sewing room for about a month (and little time to sew during the Christmas period) and I just broke my cheap sewing machine. Now I have a sewing room and no sewing machine.


To add insult to injury, at the beginning of the renovation I gave away my reliable ol' 1979 Kenmore because it was in the way and I didn't really think I'd ever need a back up machine.


And another real kick in the pants? I only installed the awesome sewing machine LED strip light yesterday. I didn't even get to use it and now it will likely go along with the broken machine to the garbage dump because I made sure it was stuck on there really well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear that Maureen. I have a cheap Project Runway machine...and it costs more to repair it then to buy another. But I also found a 40 year old Pfaff 1222 machine that runs like a tank and does well ib sewing handwovens. I love your new sewing room. ChelleC

Anonymous said...

I inherited several older singers (metal bases) and other machines, but no place to put them. The lady loft will be renovated soon. Here's hoping you get a new one soon! Minnie

Gene Black said...

I recommend you bite the bullet and buy a good sturdy Janome I have the 6600P and it is a workhorse. You can take off the bottom and do the cleaning yourself.

Marlene said...

ChelleC, and Minnie I wish that the bells and whistles of today's modern machines could be combined with the sturdy reliability of the old cast iron based machines. The plastic/nylon cogs and other parts in newer machines are garbage! But to walk into a second hand store or buy of eBay I don't trust myself to pick up something that isn't already seized up and on its way out the door.

We will be looking at new machines in the coming week Gene. Thanks for the recommendations. Wise words from experienced sewists are very valuable at a time like this. I can only take the recommendations of a machine dealer so far since, like car dealers, I know making money is at the root of their advice. I'm going to look up your exact model.