Translate

Monday, April 26, 2021

Making a Statement

 A couple of days ago I took the online "Make a Statement" class taught by Gwen Lafleur. It was a mixed media class and besides basic jewelry/beading methods it also went into layering and using special mediums like embossing ink. I haven't yet gotten to Michaels in the next community, so I worked with what I had on hand.


The central medallion is one that I embroidered last June. I also made the tubular Inkle band at that time and put it together in a simple pendant style. Unfortunately it had a tendency to spin when worn and often showed the backside rather than the front. The problem was the way I had attached it  top and bottom from only one central point.


Now that it has beaded additions and is attached to the Inkle band on both sides it will stay put. 

Gwen Lafleur seemed to refer to "statement" as something containing a personal affirmation note. I would be more inclined to define statement jewelry they way Brittany's Fine Jewelry does in this quote:

"Statement jewelry allows both men and women to express themselves and their personality through jewelry. Statement jewelry is unique and bold and helps the wearer portray who they are through their outward appearance." 

When I portray who I am through my outward appearance I like to be seen as creative, unique, and a truly "one of a kind" fibre artist. I think this piece of wearable art says that quite nicely.

No comments: