Translate

Sunday, May 01, 2022

A New (To Me) Loom

Not too long ago I was fortunate enough to pick up a used Leclerc Dorothy loom for a good price. Unfortunately It was missing its reed, which is a costly and absolutely necessary piece. I was lucky that the local guild had a used reed on hand that they were willing to sell to me at a fraction of its cost if purchased new.
My next improvement to the loom was to change out the notoriously noisy side lever system of the Dorothy to a wooden lever system with texsolve cords. The loom is not just way quieter, it is also much easier and less fatiguing to use.
Then, at the next guild meeting, Betty, a fellow guild member, had a lovely 6 yard warp for sale. I had been looking for an appropriate project for the new little loom so I snapped it up. This is the first of 3 scarves that can be woven on the warp. Thanks Betty!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh good, and now you are on your way!!! A friend of mine has one of these looms. I think it very wise of you to replace the side levers etc. The changes you made are wonderful.

I have a 4 shaft Baby Wolf loom and an 8 shaft Schacht Standard. Weaving is so much fun. I've been on a crocheting and spinning jag lately but need to return to weaving also. I'm sure you will love weaving!! You have that analytical mind, mixed with creativity and you'll be great at it. Chelle

Marlene said...

Oh Chelle I've been weaving for years! In fact on this blog I have weaving posts going all the way back to 2006. What's new, or more accurately "back", is pattern weaving. My weaving for many years has been entirely plain weave and focused solely on colour and texture and a few manipulated techniques that have no actual patterning done. This Leclerc Dorothy loom is to allow me to try out actual patterns again for the first time in a long time. A second hand 4-shaft Woolhouse Tools loom is also being picked up tomorrow.

How wonderful that you have a Baby Wolf! I have always thought that they look like a great little loom. The 8 shaft Schacht, though I'm sure it's great, I'll leave to you --- following complicated patterns is beyond my short term memory abilities.