Translate

Friday, January 20, 2023

Twists and Turns

Long after the finish I am finally writing about my "Twists and Turns" shawl by Stephen West. It was a mystery knit-a-long, and there was considerable pressure during the knitting to not give out any "spoilers" to those still knitting.


The knitting of this shawl took all of October -- and I do mean ALL. Clues came out once a week for 4 weeks. I knit for at least a couple of hours every single day for an entire month, but managed to keep up.


I LOVE it!

Well --- at least from an artistic point of view I love it. I love the colours and the very eye catching contrasts of it. I love that it is knit entirely in yarn that I spun myself. I loved knitting it, and the challenge of making a few changes to the pattern. I even love how it looks when worn.


What I don't love about it has nothing to do with the pattern itself or my knitting of it.
 

What don't I love?


Well, it turns out that as much as I do love the challenge of knitting shawls, and even the finished shawls, I just am not much of a shawl wearer.


I like my clothing to be fuss free, and I find a shawl to be the exact opposite. 


It seems that no matter how I drape a shawl I am constantly fussing and fiddling with it. If I get it "just right" it doesn't stay there long. 


It's exasperating! Fuss, fuss, fuss ---


fiddle, fiddle, fuss 'n' struggle.


I think I'll admire shawls from a distance now and stick to something more wearable. A cowl that looks like a shawl perhaps? Far more wearable!

No comments: