Translate

Thursday, January 19, 2023

Rolled Tight In Boro

I was given a nice set of ergonomic crochet hooks for Christmas, but they needed a safe home so I set about making a custom roll to store them in.

 

I wove the Inkle band tie that holds the roll closed quite some time ago. It's nice that it finally has a use. 


The inner part of the roll has numerous slots that are custom sized to hold the varying handle widths on my crochet hook collection. Each slot in the roll has the size written on it so that it's easier to find what I want and also easier to put the hooks away when I'm finished. 

Unfortunately after the slots were all labelled and sewn I found an errant hook stuck in an abandoned project. That hook must now reside, out of order, in an unlabeled space that I had at the end of the roll. 


I've had  a roll of printed fabric labels that read: "Marlene Randall ORIGINAL" for decades now. I believe they were purchased nearly 40 years ago and this may be the very first time I've used one.


I'm very happy with this project and I hope that it will get decades of use and perhaps one day become an heirloom.


The outer cover of the roll was a very labor intense project!


It is boro style patchwork and the entire surface is completely covered in running stitches travelling in all different directions. 
 

That type of stitching is very characteristic of this style of patchwork.




4 comments:

PJ said...

Wow! Perfect! How creavity!

Marlene said...

Thanks for visiting my blog PJ, and for leaving a kind comment. With the numerous YouTube video blogs (Vlogs or Podcasts) I feel that old time blogs are just not read as much nowadays. I like the idea of doing my own Vlog, but I know I would be tongue tied, at a loss for content, and just don't have the video editing skills to make it happen. So THANKS for stopping by!

Laurinda said...

Holy smokes- that must have taken a long time with all that hand stitching! What a stunning heirloom

Marlene said...

Yes, it was many hours of stitching, Laurinda! It was very enjoyable meditative work, but I wouldn't want to have to do it for a living.