Translate

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Let 'er Rip

Saturday I discovered that the sock I've been knitting off and on over the past little while just was not going to work out. I love the wave pattern. I like the way it breaks up the otherwise very boring, completely predictable striping of this particular sock yarn and the stitch count was working out to perfectly fit my foot.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Unfortunately I will still have to frog it. The stitch pattern, for whatever reason, doesn't have a lot of give and it is a real struggle to pull that section past my heel. With a lot of effort I can get this leg section past my heel and up to my ankle where it belongs. With the addition of the heel they would even fit quite well --- once I got them on. But I know me, there is NO way I will wear socks that are a horrendous struggle to put on. *sigh* Rip-it, rip-it, rip-it!

Just in time to save me from the gloom of a failed project I found a link to the "Nicole Vest" on the SKC group blog. It is one of the projects nominated for consideration for the next knit-a-long. I really like it but not as modelled as a vest over a blouse. I think it would be nice as a summer top.

Anyway, being not much of an "along-er", preferring to work at my own pace, I downloaded the PDF pattern and was out shopping for yarn the next day. By day's end I was well on my way.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Even if a knitter isn't much for knit-a-longs, it's worth keeping a eye on the SKC blog. It's a great way to find out about new and interesting patterns out there and see them done up in yarns other than the ones specified. I think I might do this one as well. Pattern available here.

4 comments:

Lizz said...

I downloaded this pattern too. I'm planning on making it in red with a few modifications. Like you I'm not planning on wearing it as a vest but just as a summer top! I can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Laura said...

I agree. The pattern would look much better as a summer top than as a vest. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Ooooh that will make a cute top! :)

Sorry about the sock frogging!

Michelle said...

I don't know, Marlene...every time I come and read your blog, I add something else to my already very long to-do list! I'm loving the Nicole vest and look forward to seeing yours progress.