Translate

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Weaving Samples

I purchased Betty Lynn Davenport's revised book, "Textures and Patterns for the Rigid Heddle" and have been exploring some of the learning experiments.

My first 11 samples are done in worsted weight wool with the 8 dpi heddle. The first 10 are experiments with creating varying lengths of floats using a pick up stick.




Before reading through the instructions in the book I never realized how EASY it is to weave using a pick up stick. I always thought that for every row a pick up stick was used you had to go across picking up all those threads each and every time. NOT SO. For the first 10 samples I picked up the warp threads ONCE. The pick up stick is then left resting, in place, behind the heddle until it is used again.

For the last sample, a 3/1 lace, it required a different pattern of threads picked up, but after picking them up once I was able to weave it off, just bringing the pick up stick forward when needed. Fantastic! I love my little rigid heddle loom.

5 comments:

lookinout said...

I have forgotten so much in weaving, but I learnt something new from you. I sometimes miss my loom.
Gillian

Karen said...

I've been looking at that book and wondering whether I should buy it. Can't wait to see more of your samples.

Marlene said...

Yes Karen you should buy the book. It has more to it than I expected. Weaving patterns on the RH loom is not nearly as difficult or time consuming as I thought.

DEEP END OF THE LOOM said...

I love the samples, they look great, I experimented with the book last weekend and also found that the pick up behind the heddle was fanastically easy. I plan to do some dish towels with the 3/1 this weekend.

Taueret said...

how did I not know you had a blog? Awesome post and I can't wait to see what you do next :-).