Translate

Saturday, April 27, 2019

More Hats Than Heads

I always tease my baseball hat collecting son that he has far more hats than he has heads. Seems I'm getting that way myself. I'm now storing 4 hats on just 2 wicker heads.



After a lifetime of never wearing hats I've been told, in a roundabout way, that I must wear a hat when outdoors. Yes, in part it is for sun protection after a bit of a problem with a "precancerous lesion" that needed treatment, but mostly it has to do with my eyes. My eyes are very sensitive to the sun but if I wear polarized sunglasses I find that direct sunlight on the lenses makes it difficult to see anything! I have to have some sort of hat visor overhanging the sunglasses.

I've written before about the "Upcycled Hat" made of denim patches. That was the first one. It fit so well and worked so well for my purposes that I went on to sew the black velveteen one later on. It's great in the winter but rather hot when it's not chilly out. Then came the white one with denim trim. I don't think I blogged about that one? I was hoping it would be a bit cooler, but nope. I guess with my volume of hair any hat at all is HOT.

I've added yet another hat to my growing collection. The wildly patterned pink/orange/purple hat was sewn from a loosely woven cotton tablecloth I found on sale at Value Village for $3. It's a little cooler and lighter than the others.

All four are sewn using my go to pattern, the "Gardening Hat" from "Happy Hats and Cool Caps". At one time the book was available for 1 cent plus shipping but I see it has gone up in price.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I have the same problem with my glasses and wear a hat pretty much all year round. Peaked caps in the cooler months and a sunhat in the summer. I managed to get the book you mentioned a few months ago and really should get round to trying some of the patterns, especially after seeing your hat.

Marlene said...

I think you'd quite like it Julie. There are so many styles in the book that if you're not happy with the first style you can try others. I tried the "Hip Hop Hat With Visor" from the book and it looked great on my mannequin, fit me well, and --- looked absolutely goofy on ME. But I persevered until I found a style that worked and now I just make the same one over and over with different fabrics and trims.

https://wovenflame.blogspot.com/2015/05/not-what-id-hoped.html