Translate

Friday, February 08, 2019

Mild Lagenlook

I originally took this photo for a Lagenlook sewing forum I belong to. Most of the ladies there wear layer upon layer of things like bloomers, petticoats, slips, dresses, pinafores, shawls. I'm not comfortable with that level of foofy-ness and femininity. It looks great on them but it's just not my thing.


This is the sort of thing I wear on a day to day basis. It's more me. I don't concern myself with following a certain fashion aesthetic. I wear what I like and what I enjoy making. If I had to name it I'd say that I see it as toned down version of Lagenlook. It's more along the lines of Swedish Lagenlook. Layered, but not with the volume, length, or ruffles. 

If you're interested in the sources: The black cotton jersey 3/4 sleeve top was drafted and sewn by me but I started with the Jalie 2805 T-shirt and added width and an asymmetrical hem to the bottom.

Under that I'm wearing another self made top, this time of a polyester knit fabric and using Jalie 3245 Racerback Tunic as a pattern.

The hat was made using the "Gardening Hat" pattern from the book "Happy Hats and Cool Caps" but with scrunching added to the stand using the guidance for hat alterations in that same book. Great book if you need custom sized hats or want to sew hats to coordinate with your wardrobe.

Jeans and scarf both purchased long ago. Boots are vintage "Pillow Boots" by Cougar worn here for warmth, not fashion -- but I do like them enough that I went and had them repaired last year.

2 comments:

elaineren said...

I have made the Afgan Farmers Hat from that book! Love your Mild Lagenlook!

Marlene said...

I like the look of the Afghan Farmers Hat too, elaineren, but find that when I'm out walking the dog I need more of a brim. My eyes are very sensitive to the sun but if I put on my polarized sunglasses without also wearing a brimmed hat then I can't see a darned thing if the sun hits them a certain way. I've resorted to making my own hats since I have a large head and it's extremely rare that I can find any sort of hat that will fit, let alone a ladies hat. The book is fabulous for that.