Translate

Saturday, April 13, 2019

Pincushions

Ever since a boring old store bought pincushion fell apart on me, scattering sawdust power everywhere, I've been wanting to make myself not just one, but three new ones.


I ended up with six, which is a bit of overkill, but I was on a roll and thought I might as well use up the main fabric.

I used the "My Favorite Pincushion Pattern" by Darcy Ashton and made four in the Jumbo size and two cute little miniatures. The decorative "leaves" on the larger ones are cut from felted wool fabric and then appliqued in place using Ashton's well written instructions. The additional embellishing stitches are my own touch, done in a unplanned sort of way.

Why do I need three pincushions? Because in my sewing and embroidery work I use three different types of straight pins, each with a specific purpose and I don't like getting them intermingled. 


My two favourite types of pins have heads that will not melt when they come in contact with a hot iron. The extra-fine glasshead pins are excellent when sewing fine fabrics. They slide through the fabric easily and are less inclined to leave holes in delicate material. The heavier stainless steel pins on the right are my go to for any heavier fabric like canvas or denim and when working with multiple layers that tend to bend the lighter pins. I do have the new-fangled clips but find I still need pins for anything that requires securing away from an edge. Cheap pins, like the multi-coloured ones at the top of the picture, will go in the third cushion. I use those when I'm stitching away from home, taking classes as there is a good chance I will lose some. They are garbage, with plastic heads that melt, but they are easily replaced.

All links in my posts are there only for your convenience. I do NOT receive reimbursement in any way if you use them.

1 comment:

PJ said...

Oh, I bet you could have a whole entire post on beads! (..and I would enjoy it!) In my few projects ever needing pin....cheap ones are not the way to go! Love your darling pincushions!!!