Translate

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Charkha

The Mahatma Centennial Charkha I ordered from New World Textiles has arrived. Let the play begin!


Spinning cotton on the charkha is much easier than I expected. It will take some time and practice to get good at spinning a consistent thickness and twist, but after watching the basic beginner portion of the "Spinning Cotton on the Charkha" DVD I was able to produce a passable cotton thread. 

Yesterday a friend dropped off a stash of cotton that she is no longer interested in spinning -- 



-- and I also received over a pound of cotton that I ordered. Lots to keep me busy for quite some time!



2 comments:

Gene Black said...

I have never spun on one of those. I was able to spin a cotton yarn on my wheel but it was a bit of work. I hope you enjoy using it for a long time.

Marlene said...

If you were able to spin cotton on a wheel at all Gene I'm sure you'd do well on a charkha. There is no draw in on a charkha like there is with a bobbin led wheel. You wind on when you are ready and not a moment before, so there is no need to clutch at the cotton. Having a very loose hold on the cotton really helps with the long draw drafting.