Translate

Sunday, July 28, 2019

Impromptu Project

I was thinking today that it would be nice to have somewhere on my wheel where I could store my scissors and spinning wheel lubricant. Next thing I knew I was digging through my fabric scraps and this little fabric cup with pockets was born.


Long ago I bought an acrylic cup holder for my spinning wheel thinking it would be handy to keep a drink nearby, especially at crowded spin-ins. While cup holders work well on some wheels the only location for one on a LittleGem is right below the flyer. It didn't take long to discover that this results in debris from spinning falling straight into my coffee. 

If I use the acrylic cup to hold scissors or other tools they rattle while I spin. I decided a cloth liner would be just the thing. I even found remnants in my scrap box that match the applique I added to my spinning chair eleven years ago. The spinning related implements fit snuggly in the exterior pockets while the centre cup portion can be used like a tiny garbage can to contain the debris picked from wool while spinning. 

4 comments:

Hannelore said...

That is perfect, although when you had your coffee cup there before, you got some extra protein!😂🤣😂

Marlene said...

That might be true Hannelore, but I for sure was getting some added fibre!

Michelle said...

I have one for my wheel, too. I didn't sew mine, though. Yours looks wonderful! Love the bright colour.

I always wanted one of those acrylic cup holders...but the way I make fibre fly, I think I'll just spin near my table. lol

Marlene said...

Michelle! So wonderful to hear from you! I was just thinking about you and the 'old days' when visiting fellow creatives was more of a blogroll thing.

As far as the cup holders go, yes, if a table is close enough that is a better way to go. I wanted one for crowded spin-ins when space is at a premium. The past few years I've been bringing along a little filebox sized cart fitted with a lid and my daughter and I use it like a little table between us.