Translate

Saturday, May 22, 2021

Fitting Muslin Saves the Day

 Well the "fitting muslin" does fit, but I don't know if I like the test garment enough to sacrifice the good linen I've been saving for the right project to come along.


This is Jalie 3678, otherwise known as the Rova Blouson Tank and Dress. True to the pattern name it "blouses" over a drawstring (or elastic) waistline, and I don't know if I want that effect enough to make a "good version" out of my hoarded linen.



I've worked hard to lose a significant amount of weight and I'm not willing to look like a sack of potatoes.


The designer used one fabric, top and bottom, and I know that would help avoid the visual widening effect that happens when an outfit cuts you in half, right in the middle. The half and half proportion is not one I would normally choose, but it worked with the fabric I had available for the fitting "muslin". 


It was a weird polyester sheet for a double bed, and oddly enough it was divided exactly in half, (vertically as far as I could tell), between the solid black and the black and white print. A Value Village find that only cost $4 CAD. It may have saved my expensive linen from a sorry mistake.

What really drew me to the design was the pockets. I do love to have pockets! There is a tunic length version too, but --- again with the figure drowning blouson waistline. I thought I'd like it more. What do you think?


2 comments:

Gene Black said...

I don't think this is a good pattern for linen. With the waist made like that, I think a "slinky" fabric would look good. Then it will drape there but not pooof out over the waist. (Fair disclosure: I don't know much about making clothing.)

The muslin looks good on you.

Marlene said...

Very good point Gene. The drape of the chosen fabric would be a big make or break deal with this design. The linen I have is actually quite soft and flowing. It is not the stiffer type of linen that would be used in a pair of pants. The linen I have would be suitable for a soft shirt. But still, I don't think I'll use my beautiful linen for this design. The linen shall remain hoarded for another length of time.