Translate

Thursday, May 13, 2021

Denim Statement Piece

Here's another pendant made using the basic ideas gleaned during the "Make a Statement" multi-media course presented online by Gwenn Lafleur. This particular one is my version of the "medicine bag". It forms a pocket for whatever special trinkets a person might wish to carry. 


I made the base of mine from an Inkle band that had been woven on my Saori CH60 floor loom for another purpose, but it turned out too wide. I repurposed it, and through some folding, fashioned it into an open pocket on the back. To form a "bezel" for the top of the pendant I folded the fabric over a plastic straw creating a reinforced casing. A tubular Inkle band, created on my Windhaven Ukulele Inkle Loom, passes through the straw in the casing. 

Both Inkle bands made use of weaving cotton given to me by a friend when she was moving to a new community. I believe it was originally part of the stash of another mutual friend and former guild member. In fact, all components of the pendant have special meaning to me.



All three of the buttons used came from a huge button jar that originally belonged to my grandmother and was handed down to my mother, and now to me. The buttons themselves may or may not be old since each of us has added to the collection over the years.



The pale blue lace surrounding the stacked buttons is a scrap leftover from making tiny doll clothing, another hobby of mine.

The frayed denim at the bottom edge is the hem of a discarded pair of my husband's jeans.




The large silver beads along the top, just below the casing, are from a broken necklace. Those beads are nestled into a small piece of tatting that I did years ago while learning shuttle tatting.

The thin blue fabric with white polka dots in the upper right corner is an ancient old, completely worn to tatters, handkerchief that belonged to my husband and perhaps might have originally been my dad's?



The little silver dragonfly was a gift from a friend that knows I have a special affection for dragonflies.

The small dark blue beads scattered beside the dragonfly are leftovers from an intricate beaded shawl that took many months to knit.

Arching down the left side is a piece of an heirloom crocheted doily. It was stained and there were holes in it so it had just been tucked away, unused. I'm hoping this use is more honoring of the original craftswoman.

The embroidery embellishing the fabric that runs diagonally across the middle of the piece was done using floss inherited from my mother.

I'm very pleased with this pendant. I think I'll wear it a lot, denim being such a wardrobe staple. 

4 comments:

drygardening said...

Fantastic piece. Thanks for sharing on your blog.

Marlene said...

Thank you drygardening. I appreciate you coming by and commenting.

Gwen Lafleur said...

Wow - so cool to read the history of the pieces you included here... this makes it so much more special and is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in class with including supplies that have meaning to you, only taken to another level! I'm blown away by the weaving and tatting that you did yourself - that's so cool and something I could only wish to do... maybe someday I'll be able to learn :) And the history in all of the pieces is amazing and it's beautiful on top of all of it! Love this so much and thank you for sharing!

Marlene said...

Thanks Gwen, for stopping by my blog and reading about the background of all the inclusions. This statement piece was done without buying a thing. I had everything here already. It was just a matter of gathering it up and putting it together in a coordinated way.