Translate

Friday, April 20, 2007

Worsted Weight Socks

You may recall that last weekend I participated in a beta testing of a new knitting software program. Sock Wizard version 2 will be that much better because of me. Well, me and 60 or more other testers. Heh.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Before my test copy expires (I believe that happens today, April 20th) I printed out a copy of a pattern for socks, custom fit for me, in a worsted weight gauge. I decided to give Carol Wulster's "Ultimate Diagonal Heel" a whirl. I'm happy to report it was easy and they fit great.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Gotta love the speed of a pair of worsted weight socks. I estimate that, with the fewer stitches and rows per inch, they knit up in about a quarter of the time it takes to knit a fingering weight pair. I knit the entire leg portion of one of the socks during a guild meeting last night.

These were done in Knit Picks Wool of the Andes. It's 100% wool, no nylon, so they may not last as long as the wool/nylon blends. It took the better part of two balls of the blue and somewhere around 1/2 a ball of the red.

8 comments:

Maggie Ann said...

And your socks are beautiful! Hope you are having a pleasant Saturday!

Romi said...

Very nice! I'll have to actually get my sock software out and use it sometime. I keep forgetting about it! Brainless, that's me. ;)

kristo said...

I really like your socks...
Very bright and cheerful.

Unknown said...

Your socks are wonderful! I've never knitted a sock before but i know this is the one i want to knit! I have the demo too but i can't seem find the type of heel you did with these socks in the wizard. :-/ [maybe because i've never done it before] Which option is the one you tried?

Marlene said...

GM, the demo is likely from the earlier edition and would not have the "Ultimate Heel" as one of the options. You may have to wait and purchase version 2. Out of respect for Carol and all the work she does to design this great program, I can't email you the pattern I generated for my own use while beta testing the software for her. You might be able to find a similar heel from other sources. It is a "diagonal heel", but Carol has a nifty way of eliminating the "wrap" of the usual "wrap and turn" short rows.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Unknown said...

Thank you a lot anyways, for pointing me to the right direction. Thinking she might have it in her book, i wanted to purchase it also, but it was sold out everywhere i searched! :D Yes i guess i have to wait for a while. [and i definitely understand, it would be very rude for me to ask for such a thing] It is sometimes crude living overseas and trying to find out about things you've no idea or knowledge about, but want to learn! Patiently waiting for Carol to publish the new version to knit my first sock ever :)

Jenny Raye said...

Cute socks!

Anonymous said...

There is no doubt that Yhao is an expert in knitting products! Besides wholesaling Yhao socks, I also have placed many orders for custom socks from Yhao. The high quality is visible! custom merino wool socks