Translate

Saturday, January 07, 2006

First of 2006

With the blocking now complete the Feather and Fan Shawl becomes my first FO (finished object) of 2006.

It's post-knitting/pre-blocking bath had a rather shocking result!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Within a minute or two of hitting the water we had "grape Kool-Aid". The picture, which had to be taken with a flash, does not show fully how dark and purple the water became. It was amazing. It looked like a purple dye bath. I rinsed it in a strong vinegar/water bath in an effort to set the dye so it would not run any more. It looked like it worked. I left the shawl in a cool, clear, water rinse as I prepared the living room floor for the blocking. When I came back I was shocked to see that the dye had once again bled.... a lot! I gave up and blocked it anyway.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The blocking took 2 full hours and 4 boxes of pins (not the 3 I had previously stated). It would have taken me a little less time if I had begun in a more efficient manner. I thought I should start pinning at the further most points, but found after some experimentation that it worked much better to block the shorter "valleys" (the k2tog sections) severely first, and then go back and pull the "hills" (the k1 yo sections) out further.

It's unpinned and being worn right now. *grin* It's lovely, drapey, and has a lustrous sheen. The circular shape, combined with the slight weight of the beads on the edging, makes it have a fun "swing" shape and movement to the outer edge.

I'll try to get a post-blocking picture of it taken today. It looks great with jeans.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see it on you!

kristo said...

Wow!!! i saw this shawl in person as a WIP (work-in-progress) and I had NO IDEA what it was going to look like... it just seemed like a big 'ball' of thread to me. Way to go Mom! it looks AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! I watched the "hole" story in horror, but am so glad it turned out to be ok. I almost started this shawl several months ago and still keep looking at itl Definitely on my short list! You've inspired me.
Dorothy (http://missouristar.typepad.com)

Unknown said...

Great work - the middle of the shawl is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I am so going to have to make this shawl one day. I love, LOVE the center medallion, and feather and fan is always so elegant. It's beautiful in the colorway you chose, and I'm glad that the color bleeding didn't mess that up (I can just imagine how scary that was, though).

I can't wait to see the modelled shot :)

Any chance for a closeup of the beaded edge now that it's all blocked out nice?

Jessica said...

It's stunning. Congratulations.

Michelle said...

It is so beautiful, Marlene! This is definitely giving me the nudge I need to finish mine.

Claire said...

I have been eyeing that pattern off for ages. Yours is beautiful! Please show a pic of it being modeled :-)

Cheers
Claire

e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Just beautiful. The beads make it ver special! I can't wait to see a wearing pic!

Nicole said...

Absolutely amazing!

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Your shawl is just so beautiful.. I had to join the chorus of voices saying so.

Lella