While I await a yarn and pattern shipment I decided to cast on something quick and easy......something that didn't require any further purchases and wouldn't have to be cast aside when the "real" project arrived.
I had found an interesting "Heirloom Baby Bonnet" pattern in an old issue of "Spin-Off" (Summer 2000). Although the pattern is meant to be used with handspun laceweight, I had just the right amount of Zepher leftover from knitting "The Peacock Feathers Shawl", and decided to use that up.
Things were going well. I had the multi-petaled, "medallion" crown of the bonnet done and was at least 5 repeats into the lacey edging (14 repeats required) when I glanced down at my work and there it was, like a slap in the face.
The REVERSE side of the lace edging was showing on the RIGHT side of the bonnet.
Photo "A" shows the crown right-side up and the lace edging wrong-side up.
Photo "B" Shows the crown wrong-side up and the lace edging right-side up.
The pattern (or perhaps my interpretation of what the pattern writer meant), was WRONG. Where the designer said "From here on, to the end of every right-side row, knit the last edging stitch together with a medallion stitch." To my understanding that would mean that the rows that end with "K2tog (a medallion stitch with the last edging stitch)" would then be the right-side rows and I arranged my work so that would be the case.
As you can see the lace pattern is very similar on both sides so it took me a while to see the difference. It is most noticeable in the inner lace panel. There is clearly a stockinette base to that portion and it is definitely supposed to go opposite to the way I have it.
It's gone. Ripped! Not the whole bonnet, "just" the lace edging. I was able to save the crown "medallion". I know the difference was slight, but it would have driven me crazy.