Translate

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Another Upcycle Sewing Project

I've been enjoying doing some "upcycle" sewing projects lately. Repurposing textiles that have been donated to thrift stores keeps them from the landfills and that in turn protects our planet from the abuse of the excess textile manufacturing that goes into today's "fast fashion", mass produced clothing not designed to last more than one season. 


I found a lovely, brand new, blue/black, high quality, polished 100% cotton sheet at a local thrift store. I sewed it up into a Les Etoiles tunic (pattern by BMannbyBridget) and a pair of pull on pants (pattern Jalie 3243). I quite like the pair worn together. They look kind of elegant in an easy fitting, comfortable sort of way.



I had originally intended to wear it with this short handwoven tabard  I made long ago, but the colourful tabard was not really made to fit over a tunic that is loose and flowing. It pulls the tunic in and makes it bunch up. I do love the splash of colour it gives the otherwise monotone outfit though.

3 comments:

PJ said...

Very Cute!

Marlene said...

Thanks PJ. With these upcycled sewing projects, even if they fail, the $$ is not much and the finished clothing is of much higher quality than the mass produced garbage put out these days.

Unknown said...

Wow you are such a talent,Great job.