Translate

Thursday, February 07, 2019

Boldly Out There

I debated for a bit on whether or not to present this new sewing project on my blog, fearing derision and possible rejection. I realize that with its bold colour and print and it's simple shaping it's rather "out there", non-mainstream, and likely not to everyone's taste. But you know what? I love it!


It was originally intended to only be a "wearable muslin", which is a garment sewn in inexpensive fabric mainly to test and fit a pattern, but wearable if it turns out well. I didn't expect to love it as much as I do. But with its comfortable forgiving fit, large useful pockets, bold colour and cheerful print, I love wearing it! It's fun. It's different. It's me.

I've always liked bold colour and unusual, non-mainstream styles, but it is only as I've gotten older that I've been brave enough to wear it. I think it comes with no longer caring so much what other people think. I'm more interested in being myself than I am in fitting in.

Sewn using the "Frankie" dress pattern by BmannbyBridget. I shortened it to tunic length and changed the neckline a bit. The fabric was upcycled from a thrift store purchase of a 100% cotton sheet with a large floral border print. The accompanying scarf was made by cutting down a rayon sarong I rarely wore.

If you have something positive or insightful to say I'd love to hear it, and welcome your comments. If only negatives come to mind? Well you know what your momma always said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". I am only human after all, and a sensitive one at that, and criticism stings for a long, long time.


12 comments:

ChelleC said...

Oh my goodness, Marlene, I LOVE this. You look great in it!!!! Fabulous!

Thanks for having the courage to share it. Chelle

Marlene said...

Thanks for taking the time to comment ChelleC. Your encouragement and support buoys me up.

PJ said...

I think it looks wonderful and very comfortable! (and wonderful color!)

Marlene said...

I'm glad you like it PJ. It truly is comfortable. It's nice that it has big pockets hidden in the side seams too.

Kathy Turner said...

I want that! Love the style and pattern. Your creations are always interesting and unique.

elaineren said...

I love it, and I love that you love it!

Marlene said...

Kathy! How nice to see you here. Thanks for being supportive with your kind comment.

Thanks elaineren. Interesting thing about wearing my clothing loose, aiming for more comfort, is it has allowed me to become more accepting and less critical of my body.

Gene Black said...

It looks fun, AND, comfortable. I say it is a win

Marlene said...

Thanks Gene. I'm not vain enough to ever put fashion before comfort. Creating original, one of a kind, fun clothing that is also comfortable is a real bonus.

Sweetsknit said...

If I saw you walking down the street, I would be compelled to compliment you. It IS bold, but it looks great on you. Way to rock it.

Niki said...

Why would anyone say anything negative? It is lovely, and so are you <3

Marlene said...

Aww, thanks Sweetsknit. When I see something great on another person, be it a new hairstyle or some sort of interesting outfit, especially if it was clearly handmade, I like to go out of my way to compliment the person. I know it would make them feel great and more confident, as your compliment has done for me today.

Well I don't know why some people are like that Niki Daninger, but it happens. And it has happened to me often enough in my life that I have developed a defensive cringe/hide response much like a dog that has been beaten. I'm trying to overcome that and boldly put my real self out there despite the unkind things that sometimes come spewing from the lips of thoughtless people.