Translate

Friday, February 01, 2019

Inspiration from Multiple Sources

This past month or so I've spent a lot of time embroidering each day. I've been working on embellishing the fabric that has gone into making a very artsy tunic.


The fabric itself was upcycled from a thrift store purchase of an IKEA duvet cover, and the extensive stitching was inspired by the examples in a book by Alabama Chanin, "The Geometry of Hand Sewing". I own other more detailed and involved embroidery reference books but I must say the simplicity of the way this book is presented, and the wonderful punched grid pages for marking embroidery lines evenly, really make the purchase worthwhile.


I used the Les Etoiles Tunic sewing pattern by individual pattern developer, Bridget Mann. If you're looking for something unconventional and offbeat you can find her patterns on her website here, and in her Etsy shop here


I love the bell shape to the hemline of this tunic. So different! Relaxed and comfortable to wear the tunic also has nice, roomy, and useful pockets.

When creating new pieces for my growing wardrobe of one of a kind handmades I take inspiration from all around me. A key influence has been the words and work of Anita Luvera Mayer. Anita believes there should be something magical and unique about what is worn each day. 

I also find great inspiration in the playful, bold, and cheerful colours and prints used in the collections by Swedish fashion designer, Gudrun Sjoden

If you'd like a more in depth look into what grabs my attention in the fashion world I keep a couple of Pinterest boards that might be of interest:  
and
Lagenlook.

5 comments:

elaineren said...

A beautiful garment. I love the Alabama Chanin ethic, also. You look great!

elaineren said...

I also love Gudren and Lagenlook, but am unsure how to use them in my wardrobe. Thank you for this example!

Marlene said...

Aren't Gudren's wild colours and playful ensembles great, elaineren?! So cheerful and boldly different! And all the hours of peaceful stitching that go into an Alabama Chanin piece are remarkable. "Slow clothes" in the extreme.

cjbj said...

Looks like a fun item to wear!

Marlene said...

It is, djbj. And comfortable too.