Translate

Friday, July 03, 2009

Starting Anew

I've given up on the flax cotton blend yarn. I found it was showing signs of wear and fuzzing even while I was knitting it. I was afraid the finished stole would soon resemble a well used dish rag.

Still, the urge to knit lace remained strong and a trip to the local yarn store was necessary. The lace selection there was not large and none of the colours grabbed me as spectacular. I didn't want to wait for an internet order though. I bought "Alpaca with a Twist, Fino" in #2000, plum wine, which was the closest I could find to what I was really after, then I went home and over dyed it. I threw red and a wee bit of black into the dye pot and got the exact shade I had been looking for.

It's what I would call a "black cherry" colour. I will eventually knit the Lilac Leaf Lace Shawl I had started as I do love that pattern, but this overdyed alpaca/silk will become an Aeolian Shawl.

6 comments:

Dorothy said...

Both shawls are gorgeous! I had to leave my lace knitting behind while I went on vacation and I'm so anxious to get back to it. That black cherry color is also gorgeous.

becky c. said...

Don't you love it when you have a plan and it works out!! That is a great color.

AlisonH said...

Oh, gorgeous. I've done that: if it isn't the color I want, I'll make it be. Well done!

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

What a deep and rich color. Congrats on creating what you wanted. :)

Maggie Ann said...

I love how you are always coming up with something new...to me anyway. It is a treat to visit a yarn shop but more rewarding to make it yourself. Your color is lovely that you've come up with. You are in my thoughts and prayers.~~~Our daughter and her sweet boys are coming for a visit and I'm painting and am feeling 'bushed' getting ready. And, I miss my spinning!!!! but, I love her bunches, and work and visit will come to 'pass' all to quickly.

CraftyGryphon said...

That's going to make an amazing Aeolian!!