Wovenflame

A fiber-crafts fanatic who lives to create. Lately I've been knitting and sewing to clothe resin ball jointed dolls. I'm also "Wovenflame" on Ravelry, Flickr, ETSY, DoA and yahoogroups.

My Photo
Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Capricorn, Married with grown children.

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Homemade Needles

For over a year I have been wanting to teach children to knit. I am considering going to the neighborhood elementary school to offer my services. Perhaps they could use a lunch time knitting club or something. Anyway, before I dive in too deep I want to get an idea of potential cost. Schools don't have much of a budget these days so I am guessing there would be ZERO funds available and I would have to cover any costs myself.

I have a small number of knitting worsted scraps, but not enough for more than a few kids to get started. I could probably get the most mileage for my $$ by buying one of those economy sized Super Saver acrylics and then re-balling them for multiple children/projects. As for needles, I have managed to make 9 inch 5mm needles for only about 44 cents per pair using dowels and dollar store wooden beads. I think they have turned out rather well.





I rubbed the needle shafts with candle wax then warmed them over a candle flame and rubbed them smooth. They work very well and are extremely light. Of course I have been spoiled by the slick surface of Addi Turbos and find that these drag a little, but I have heard that a little friction is desirable with new knitters......less dropped stitches.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marlene. I know in our school you would be grabbed up in a minute to teach an at lunch or afterschool knitting program. Consider going to an inner city school where a lot of kids never get that type of experience. You are right about funds, although an inner city school sometimes has $$ for this type of material. The one thing you would be asked to do is a criminal record check which all volunteers must now fill out. This is done by yourself and you have to take it to the police station yourself and it then takes a week or so to come back. Have fun! Anne

October 19, 2004 4:43 pm  
Blogger kristo said...

Wow! How creative! I love the fancy ends. Oooh, fancy shmancy. :-) I know you would be a great knitting teacher (after all, you did teach ME)

October 19, 2004 5:24 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home